ESOL Opt-In Program
All students may create appointments with the Writing Center using our online scheduling system. If you are a multilingual or international student and would like to receive regular support on a weekly basis throughout the semester, you may enroll in the English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) Opt-in Program.
When you enroll in the ESOL opt-in program, you commit to improving your writing by meeting with the same consultant once each week (or two consultants twice each week). In return for this commitment, the Writing Center helps coordinate your appointment schedule and may, in some cases, increase the number of allowed appointments each term.
What are some Benefits of the ESOL Opt-in Program?
Continuity: Students meet with the same consultant each week. This enables both the student and consultants to build on what they have worked on in previous sessions. Most students opt for one session each week (about 15 appointments per semester); students may request two appointments per week (30 appointments per semester).
- Direct help with specific assignments: Students may work with their consultant on a single assignment over multiple sessions. Each session may be devoted to sentence-level issues or to larger overall concerns such as content and organization.
How does the opt-in program work?
When you apply, you will determine a regular day and time to meet with your consultant. The Writing Center sets up the appointments at the beginning of the semester to ensure you are able to meet with the same one or two consultants throughout the term. We are happy to admit students to the program up to mid-term, or as long as the Writing Center schedule allows for the consistent booking of an Opt-in consultant. You can read the program policies here.
How do I apply?
Apply here to join the ESOL Opt-in program in Spring 2024.
Before applying for the ESOL Opt-In Program, register with the Writing Center. Then fill out the application form, which will ask that you agree to the program policies and provide the following information:
- Your name, year of study, degree program, and a brief statement telling us why you want to register for the program.
- Preferred meeting days and times. During Fall 2023, the Writing Center is open Monday-Thursday 10:30-6:30 and Friday 10:30-3:30. All appointments last 45 minutes and begin at 30 minutes after the hour (e.g., 11:30, 3:30, etc.).
- Whether you would like to meet a) once per week with one consultant or b) twice per week with two consultants.
- Which appointment format you prefer: In-person, Zoom, or Written feedback.
- Whether you have any specific requests. We cannot promise to accommodate these requests, but we will be happy to try.
For questions, please contact email@example.com.