While Mason is offering all instruction online (currently through the summer sessions), the Writing Center is continuing the opt-in program, but all sessions are offered online during this time. Please continue reading, and send your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All students on campus may create appointments with the Writing Center using our online scheduling system. However, if multilingual and international students would like to receive additional, targeted support on a weekly basis throughout the semester, they may enroll in the English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) Opt-In Program.
The essence of the ESOL Opt-In Program is this: Students commit to improving their writing by meeting with the same tutor once each week (or with two tutors twice each week); in return for this commitment, the Writing Center helps coordinate their tutoring schedule and may, in some cases, increase the number of allowed appointments each term.
Continuity: Students meet with the same tutor each week. This enables both the student and tutors to build on what they have worked on in previous sessions. Most students opt for one session each week; students may request two appointments per week.
Students admitted to the program determine a regular day and time to meet with their tutor. The Writing Center sets up the appointments at the beginning of the semester to ensure the student is able to meet with the same one or two tutors throughout the term. We are happy to admit students to the program up to mid-term, or as long as the tutoring schedule allows for the consistent booking of an Opt-In tutor.
1. Your name, year of study, degree program, and a brief statement telling us why you want to register for the program.
2. Preferred meeting days and times (please provide at least 2 options). The Writing Center is open Monday-Thursday 11:30-6:30 and Friday 10:30-2:30. All appointments last 45 minutes and begin at 30 minutes after the hour (10:30, 11:30, etc.).
3. Whether you would like to meet a) once per week with one tutor or b) twice per week with two tutors.
4. Which virtual appointment format you prefer: etutoring or online tutoring.
5. Whether you have any specific requests. We cannot promise to accommodate these requests, but we will be happy to try.
If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.