Our ESL Opt-In Program provides writing support for our multilingual and international students who feel they would benefit from additional, targeted support. Working with the same tutor over the course of a semester, writers benefit from the continuity that allows them to build on skills developed in each tutoring session.
The essence of the ESL Opt-In contract is this: Students commit to improving their writing by meeting with their tutor once or twice each week; in return for this commitment, the Writing Center raises the cap on the student's appointment limit and helps coordinate their tutoring schedule.
Continuity: Students meet with the same one or two tutors for up to 30 sessions, twice per week. This enables both the student and tutors to build on what they have worked on in previous sessions. Students may choose a one session per week or two session per week option.
Students admitted to the program determine a regular day and time to meet with their tutor, up to twice a week. The Writing Center sets up the appointments at the beginning of the semester to ensure the student is able to meet with the same one or two tutors throughout the term. We are happy to admit students to the program up to mid-term, or as long as the tutoring schedule allows for consistent booking of an Opt-In tutor.
To apply for the Opt-In Support Program, contact us at email@example.com. In your message, please provide the following information:
1. Your name, year of study, degree program, and a brief statement telling us why you want to register for the program.
2. Preferred meeting days and times (please provide at least 2 options). The Writing Center at the Fairfax campus is open: Monday-Thursday 10:30-6:30 and Friday 9:30-2:30. All appointments begin on the “ :30”.
3. Would you like to meet once per week with one tutor or twice per week with two tutors?
4. Have you registered at myWConline at https://gmu.mywconline.com/register.php? If not, please do! What email address did you use to register?
5. Do you have a specific tutor you would like to work or continue working with? We cannot promise that their schedule will match with yours, but we would be happy to try.